Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Inside the 20th-Anniversary Reissue of 'Nevermind'

Here's a great article from Rolling Stone talking to Butch Vig, and Krist Novoselic about those long gone days in '91 when they recorded the biggest album in the world:

"One afternoon in April 1990, Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic and drummer Chad Channing arrived at producer Butch Vig's Smart Studios in Madison, Wisconsin, after driving 1,900 miles from Seattle nonstop. "They rolled up in a van," says Vig, "and they probably hadn't taken a bath or shower in three or four days."
The songs Nirvana began recording that day would eventually become Nevermind, the album that kicked off the alt-rock explosion of the Nineties. Eight of the demos from that week, including ferocious test runs through "In Bloom" and "Lithium," are among the never-before-heard treasures on the 20th-anniversary edition of the landmark album, due September 27th."
Read further HERE
 Its very hard for me to believe that it was 20 years ago now, that this album came out. I was such a lost and confused young man of 14. I still remember this being one of two of the very first CD's I bought, in the long cardboard sleeve they originally came in. The other was Metallica's Black album. They were literally like night and day. I hold those albums both dear, for different reasons, but ultimately Nevermind- with its bright, curious, aqua colors, and seething energy of screaming guitars, and pounding drums and playful bass...would intrigue me into a strong reverence for Nirvana, which has yet to wary or falter.
"Wait, we're gonna change the world with this record??"
                                                                                                         It appears there will be a few choices of disc sets to choose from when this is released, Sept. 27th. Here are at least two of them. I'm going to start saving my penny's for the big one though, as I want all the good/rare stuff!  Maybe my wife will notice I have this on my list for Christmas!

No comments: